Yoga To Reduce Stress
Yoga offers time-tested ways to effectively and efficiently reduce stress in our lives.
"Yogis have known since ancient times that Yoga Nidra soothes the nerves and calms the mind ; for centuries they have used it for health and meditation purposes." says Wai Lana, the world's most-watched yoga teacher and host of the internationally aired TV series
Today, doctors acknowledge the link between nervous disorders, stress, and physical disease and often prescribe relaxation for their patients. Yoga is a wonderful form of relaxation.
Its effectiveness is backed up by scientific research showing that deep relaxation oxygenates the body's cells fully and efficiently, which helps combat infection, cancer, high blood pressure, and many other diseases. "The stress we experience takes its toll on our bodies. Although it is experienced, first in the mind, it often manifests in the body.
The effects of stress
- In milder cases, it turns up as a stiff neck or tight shoulders, which may lead to headaches and back pain.
- Stress often causes insomnia, which leads to further stress and fatigue.
- When we are under this type of stress, our immune system becomes depressed and we become more susceptible to viruses and disease.
- Stress can cause digestive disorders.
- When stress is present over a long period, it can lead to more serious conditions, such as high blood pressure.
- It's a risk factor for heart disease and can lead to depression and alcoholism and drug abuse.
Research shows that simple stress-reducing techniques, if performed daily, can prevent the longer-term debilitating effects of unmanaged stress.