Keep Weight Off Permanently
Having achieved a desired weight, a positive attitude is very important in an effort to successfully manage to maintain it at the desired level. To keep weight off permanently, you must make a commitment to gradually adopt a healthier way of life.
How To Prevent Regaining Lost Weight
- Set realistic weight loss goals, such as a 1 to 2 pound weight loss per week. Those who lose weight slowly, eat less and exercise more, tend to keep their lost weight off.
- Eat fewer calories by cutting down on portion size and/or decreasing the total amount of fat you eat to 15% of your total daily calories.
- Do not skip meals.
- Keep low-calorie, low-fat snacks on hand, such as pretzels, raw vegetables with low-calorie dips or fruit. It should be noted that there is no difference between calories in low-fat foods and those found in fatty foods.
- Choose foods high in fiber such as whole-grain breads, cereals, pasta, rice, fruits and vegetables.
- To ensure you are eating healthy, keep an accurate food journal. Write down everything you eat or drink, otherwise the journal is not as helpful. The food journal will help you learn about your eating and help you assess the food choices you are making.
- Eat a variety of foods to get all the nutrients you need.
How Much Of What Foods To Control Weight
The following guide tells how much of each food group to consume on a daily basis:
|Breads and Grains
||Fruits and Vegetables|
|(6 or more servings/day)
||(5 or more servings/day)|
|Breads, rolls, buns
||Fresh, frozen, dried or canned fruits|
||Fresh, frozen or canned vegetables|
|English muffins|| |
|Rice cakes|| |
|Low-fat crackers (such as matzo, bread sticks, rye, crisps, saltines)|| |
|Hot and cold cereals|| |
|Spaghetti,macaroni, noodles, rice|| |
|Plain baked potato|| |
|Meat, Fish, Poultry
|(2-3 servings per day)
||(2 or more servings/day, 3 to 4 servings for pregnant breast-feeding women)|
|Lean cuts of meat with fat trimmed *
|Chicken and turkey without skin *
||Low-fat cottage cheese|
||Low-fat cheese with no more than 3 grams an ounce|
|*Bake, boil, broil, roast or grill|
|Fats and Oils
||Sweets and Snacks|
|(In limited amounts)
||(In limited amounts)|
|Olive, canola or peanut oils
|Butter, margarine, jelly
|Nuts, seeds, salad dressing
||Popcorn, pretzels, nuts|